Monday, February 23, 2009

Shout out to Janitors

I am a self-analyzer. When things don't go well, I try to figure out why and fix it. Recently, after much reflection, it dawned on me why I am am so tired in the evenings.

It is not because I have 4 kids who are all pursuing different academic goals within my four walls. (Abigail is conquering while Elizabeth is gaining strength in independent reading, as James learns to sort and organize items of different sizes and shapes, while Silas is working hard to identify farm animals and walk more than 7 steps at a time)
It is not because I sometimes have to get up in the middle of the night.
It is not because I am reading a really good book late at night (although I am!)
It is not because I have lots of extra commitments at church.


It is simply because I do not have a janitor like other teachers.

Here it what my classroom looks like at the end of today. (you can't really see the entire bag of sequins on the floor by the window, or the clutter on top of the piano,or the stick stick taht is rubbed on the top of the table....)
The only person coming in to scrub the table top and to sweep up the floor is me.



Thanks to all of those hard working folks who labored to keep thing clean and fresh on my classrooms. I didn't know what I had until it was gone!

7 comments:

Danielle K said...

L loves sweeping, but I think it probably wouldn't be to your benefit to send her over!

Bill and Martina said...

A room looking like that at the end of the day only shows just how much learning took place throughout the day. Maybe you could start Abigail on an allowance and one of her chores could be to be the school janitor. Love you guys lots-Mom/Nana

Walter Kelley said...

We FEEL your pain. It seems like our three girls wake up in the middle of the night and mess everything up again just to make us wonder "how". If you get a good deal on a janitor let us know. :)

The Milne Family said...

My bed and breakfast could use a housekeeping on staff as well!

Our Plain Life said...

We watched Mary Poppins awhile ago, and after the movie Annika ran up to her room and tried to snap her fingers in front of her dollhouse to see if it would clean itself up. No Luck!! Oh, where, or where is Mary Poppins?! (Whatever happened to that cleaning lady Ryan mentioned?!)

Jen Luminati said...

Oooh, I love the cleaning lady idea! And the hope that it won't be you....:)

Marlene said...

Hey, with the help of Nana I finally figured out how to do this. I am thinking Nana has the best janitoral skills I have ever seen and she smiles and laughs while she is doing it. Hang in there, she will be home is less that 48 hours.

Love reading your blog and seeing the pictures!