Thursday, March 19, 2009

Off She Goes!

As I write this, my baby girl is off on her own, several miles from home at a theatre practice. Not a big deal in today's society, she is almost 6, and most kids her age get on the bus everyday and go to school fro 6 hours without their moms waiting outside the room all day. But this is a big deal for a mom who holds her little ones pretty closely. Abigail was thrilled at the prospect of her Nana dropping her off at rehearsal and then running to the commissary for a couple of hours until it was time to pick her up. Abigail won't miss me, she'll be busy dancing and singing, and playing with her home school theatre buddies. Abigail won't be sad or worried for her safety. She won't be lonely or notice how quiet it is at our house without her. Abigail won't realize how big of a deal this is for a mommy who had never dropped her kids off anywhere and left them there.
It is great to see her spread her wings and fly. It is a gift to see her interact with people using all of the skills we have worked hard to grow in her. It is amazing to see her loving an activity and excelling at it.
It is driving me to constant prayer to have her out of my reach, but I know it is part of God's plan for her, and all of my kids. Right now it is hard not to cry, but I know God has a plan for growing me too!

3 comments:

The Milne Family said...

What a different place I am! With my almost 3 year old and 20 month old, I'm counting the days until they go to their own class. So, it's hard for me to invision what going on right now, but I suppose my season will come! Maybe when my kids are almost 6 and sweet and obedient like Abs I'll have a diff't heart!

Bill and Martina said...

Probably one of the hardest things I had to do was walk out of that dance studio, get in my van, and drive off to the commissary (and not just b/c I hate going to the commissary). Giving your kids their wings one feather at a time hurts a mother's heart but is the very best thing you can do for them. Thanks for always being willing to let me be a part of process. Love you Mom/Nana

Danielle K said...

I will remind you that you told me to just go to Ethiopia to pick up my daughter and leave my sweet little L for a whole week with an ocean between us! ;)