Friday, December 26, 2008

A Blaze of Glory

Tonight was just one more marker in our week of unexpected events. Apparently it was Bear's birthday today and a cake was being made for him in my oven. Unaware of the party plans underweigh, I went about my business of preparing dinner for my family. Only when I attempted to pout my garlic breadsticks in the oven did I realize my dilemma....Bear's cake was made of Legos which do not survive well in a 400 degree oven.

5 hours later Ryan has a headache from inhaling 1/2 of a fire extinguisher and 3 blue legos. The fumes have dissipated, the plastic has been scraped form my oven (thanks to my amazing Father-in-law) and a new fire extinguisher has been purchased. Oh, and a lesson has been learned by Bear's mommy, "I guess we should cook things in the little kitchen, not the big oven."

We are thanking God that we only lost a few legos and a plastic plate in this post-Christmas disaster. It seems that We Six Yohos will always remember this as the Christmas of germs and flames.

2 comments:

The Milne Family said...

Jacob put our "birthday cake" (Like the melissa doug pizza) in the microwave for a few seconds (until I realized what was happening). But the flaming Lego cake is really something!

Jeni said...

This reminds me of the big plastic ball that exploded in my oven...but there wasn't a good reason for it being in there! At least Bear's Mommy had a plan :).

That made me laugh today!