Monday, February 15, 2010

I guess we have a tradition


I'm not the kind of girl who expects a lot on Valentines Day. Over the past few years this day has really been a fun way for us to remind our family members that we love them, and it is a great excuse for the kids and I to get crafty. I've never had specific traditions or anything....it's just a Hallmark holiday! Well. about 2 weeks ago Elizabeth came across a basket that she held Valentines in last year. She brought it to me and said, "Look, I found the basket that we put outside of our doors on Valentines Eve and then you fill it up with our Valentines treats!" Really? "Is that what we do Bits? "I asked, actually wondering how often we had done this in the past...I had no recollection of it myself. "We do it every year!" she explained.

And so, a tradition was started...apparently a couple of years ago. Now, when God created Elizabeth, He gave her these eyes that look into the depths of your soul, and he coupled that with a passion and excitement over the little things in life. Here she stood, basket in hand, with eyes that delighted at the memory of the Valentines surprise she got tlast year. So, I promptly reminded Ryan of our "tradition" and here we were on Valentines Eve, filling baskets with treats. I guess this is how traditions begin.....and the very best ones are probably the ones that the little guys cling to and anticipate every year.

2 comments:

William said...

There is nothing sweeter than a holiday family tradition no matter how it gets started. Who wouldn't want to wake up to a basket full of love on Valentines Day. Elizabeth, I think that you are on to something. Love-Nana

The Milne Family said...

Jacob was disappointed that he didn't have any Valentine's "treats" (candy). He kept forgetting that he did have heart candy on the way home from church!