Monday, August 4, 2008

Good enough to go back tomorrow!






Well, after my first day as a homeschool teacher, I am pleased to report that my students all want to come back to school tomorrow!! We started with Back-To-School pictures on the deck and then got right to work. Our day included a Bible lesson (Abigail read the story from Genesis from her own copy of The Word!) Then we journaled and did the calendar. When James got up at 8:30am Silas went down for a nap (it would be nice if that was their new schedule, but I doubt it will last!) James joined us for circle time with stories, bean bag games and songs.



Then we had our math lesson. Here is Elizabeth using her bears to parctice ordinal numbers and James using his counting bears to stay our of Elizabeth's ordinal numbers activity!






After that we headed to Gymnastics for Elizabeth's class and then home for lunch. After lunch we wrapped up with spelling, phonics, reading, and read-aloud time.




After some quiet rest time Abgail will have to sneak in a brief history lesson before Daddy leaves because she has to interview all of her family members for her family tree project.






I could not have asked for a better first day. Things went well, we got everything done, and we had a great time! Hopefully that is not attributed to the fact that I got up at 5:30 this morning to run through all of the last minute details, make a special breakfast and have some time with the Lord before the kdis woke up!! While I did enjoy the chance to sit in the school room and commit our work to the Lord and to seek his blessing, I am not sure I will be able to sustain short nights of sleep for long!!Well, I need a break after a long day at school!! I feel encouraged and elated that thigns went so well. Remind me of this day when things start to fall apart! If things continue in this fashion I will have happy, learning children and great piles of laundry and dishes -- not much got done around the house today!!

4 comments:

The Milne Family said...

So maybe I need to attend your kindergarten! What are ordinal numbers anyway? -Julie

Brent, Lori and Elli said...

I am so happy that your first day went well. It sounds like they learned lots and had a great time. You are a good teacher Lacey!

Ellen said...

I want to come to the The Yoho School of Higher Learning too! So glad that everything went well... can you teach me to do "girl hair"? Both your girls look so pretty!

Bill and Martina said...

After hanging up the phone from calling Abigail to wish her well on her first day of kindergarten I sat and cried for awhile. I was crying not only because my oldest grandbaby is growing up way too fast but also because my "baby" was doing what she has wanted to do ever since she was in kindergarten-she was being a teacher!! Love you both-Nana & Mom